Sunday 21 December 2008

The Shoe Incident

I first heard about this from a taxi driver in Damascus. I didn't understand everything he said (my Arabic is not that good) but I gathered that it involved Bush, Iraq and a shoe, and that he was gleeful about it, so I figured it must be something good. The next time I had internet access I read up on the whole thing on the BBC website - the by-now-famous incident in which Iraqi journalist, Muntadhar al-Zaidi, threw his (Iraqi-made) shoes at thankfully-outgoing President George W. Bush, and is now, as the "Baghdad Clogger", hailed as a hero throughout the Middle East (and through large parts of the rest of the world too I suspect). I just want to encourage anyone reading this to visit the excellently therapeutic site, http://play.sockandawe.com, and have a go for yourself!

No comments: